After marathon training for months, you should spend the last week taking it easy. I spend the last week drinking plenty of water, eating a diet rich in carbohydrates and keeping my body in form by stretching and doing light jogging.
Paula Radcliffe Training Tips One week before a marathon.
Paula Radcliffe holds four of the five fastest times ever run by a woman over the 26.2-mile distance. A tip from her comes with a “pay attention” pedigree.
Paula shared the following simple tips on BBC website, a week before 2008 London Marathon.
- You should have cut down your mileage by now but it is always worth throwing in a little bit of speed work in your final week.
- Stay hydrated and get plenty of rest.
- Make sure you have run in the gear you want to wear in the race.
- Watch out for germ areas – catch a cold now and you could kiss the marathon goodbye
- Don’t forget the Vaseline!
Some of the germ areas Radcliffe treats with care are supermarket trolleys and believe it or not, baby Isla!
“Since having Isla (last January), I’ve learned the importance of keeping guard against germs. Babies pick up everything going,” Radcliffe told BBC Sport.
Read the rest of the Radcliffe Interview on BBC sports.