Athletics federation of Kenya named six marathon runners to represent Kenya at 2012 London Olympics marathon. The picking of marathon runners has been a controversial issue because Kenya does not hold a marathon trial instead the selection is like election of the Pope. A secret committee meets in a back-room and decides. The criteria they use is anyones guess.
Kenya Mens Marathon Team 2012 Summer Games
- Abel Kirui – A two time World Marathon Champion. The guy has never won a major marathon and has a PB of 2:05:04 but he seems to produce the goods when it comes to major Championships.
- Wilson Kipsang – He is the second fastest marathon runner in the world. He has won the Rotterdam Marathon plus he just won 2012 London marathon.
- Moses Mosop – He is the winner of 2011 Boston marathon and 2011 Chicago marathon.
Kenya Womens Marathon Team 2012 London Olympics.
- Mary Keitany – She has won the last two editions of London marathon. That alone was enough to guarantee her a place. I think she is so used to the London course and she may even run it blindfold.
- Edna Kiplagat – She took Gold at 2011 Daegu World Championships.
- Priscah Jeptoo – She was second at 2011 Daegu World Championships.
The major casualty was Patrick Makau, the 42Km World Record holder was left out after he got a DNF at 2012 London marathon.