What food should I eat after running.
The post-run meal is critical to recovery and improves your ability to keep running and avoid burnout.
Why Eating a meal after running is important
- It helps repair muscle tears that happen during running. The tears might not be visible but the fact that you feel sore is a indicator of small muscle tears.
- Running is an energy consuming exercise. Glycogen is depleted during strenuous activities like running and strength training exercise.
- Water is lost during running
Food to eat after your running
- Protein. This will help in repairing the muscle tears that happen during running. Most articles I have read advice runners to eat a protein meal atleast 40 mins to 2 hours after running. My food of choice are Eggs, chicken or a glass of milk.
- Carbohydrates. Carbohydrates help restore glycogen. This can be inform of solid or if you are feeling exhausted a fruit juice will give you a quick fix.