There are certain things that happen during a marathon race that demoralises runners especially the slow runners at the back of the park.
I got the following list from a slow runner a +5 hours marathon finisher who admits he is slow but he loves marathon running.
- Fast runners who decide to do their cool down on the course when you are trying to run in.
- Water stations that run out or are closed.
- Workers who are taking down the barriers early.
- Spectators who are cutting through the course on their way home while you are trying for a PR.
- Organizers who open the roads too early forcing the slow runners to walk on the roadside.
So next time, if you are a fast runner, dont do you cool down on the course be mindful of those slow runners.