The results are in from 2012 Berlin Marathon. In the men’s race its was a 1,2,3 Kenyan sweep while in the women’s race it was an Ethiopian sweep.
Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya was the men’s winner. His crossed the finish line in a time of 2 hours 4 minutes and 15 seconds. He narrowly failed in his quest to break the world record.
Mutai win here gives him unassailable lead in the world marathon majors series which awards points during a two-year cycle from finish positions in the Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago and New York marathons with a million dollar jackpot split between the men’s and women’s winners.
Another notable performance was from 19 year old Kenyan, Geoffrey Kipsang who came in third in a time of 2:06:12. I think this is best marathon time by any teenager in the world.
In the women’s race, Ethiopia clinched a one-two double with pre-race favourite Aberu Kebede winning he second Berlin marathon in 2:20:30. Her training partner Tirfi Tsegaye was second with Ukraine’s Olena Shurhno third.
2012 Berlin Marathon MEN’S RESULTS
1. Geoffrey Mutai (Kenya) 2:04:15
2. Dennis Kimetto (Kenya) 2:04:16
3. Geoffrey Kipsang (Kenya) 2:06:12
4. Nicholas Manza (Kenya) 2:08:28
5. Josphate Keiyo (Kenya) 2:08:41
6. Josphat Jepkopol (Kenya) 2:08:44
7. Jonathan Kiplimo Maiyo (Kenya) 2:09:19
8. Eliud Kiptanui (Kenya) 2:09:59
9. Felix Keny (Kenya) 2:10:22
10. Masakazu Fujiwara (Japan) 2:11:31
2012 Berlin Marathon WOMEN’S RESULTS
1. Aberu Kebede (Ethiopia) 2:20:30
2. Tirfi Tsegaye (Ethiopia) 2:21:19
3. Olena Shurhno (Ukraine) 2:23:32
4. Filomena Chepchirchir (Kenya) 2:24:56
5. Fate Tola (Ethiopia) 2:25:14
6. Alevtina Biktimirova (Russia) 2:28:45
7. Caroline Chepkwony (Kenya) 2:30:34
8. Anna Hahner (Germany) 2:30:37
9. Sonia Samuels (Britain) 2:30:56
10. Degefa Biruktayit (Ethiopia) 2:33:27